The reigning champions Bayern Munich kick off their Bundesliga campaign against a Schalke side that hasn’t won in their last five league outings. Jake Perry provides betting tips for this clash of the German titans.
Who is playing?
Bayern Munich vs Schalke
What competition is it?
Bundesliga Matchweek 1
What time is Bayern Munich vs Schalke?
19:30 GMT, Friday 18th September 2020
Which stadium is hosting Bayern Munich vs Schalke?
Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
What channel is Bayern Munich vs Schalke on?
BT Sport 1
Bayern Munich vs Schalke Summary
Two historic teams in german football will raise the curtain on a new Bundesliga season as Bayern Munich host Schalke. Fresh from winning their eighth consecutive Bundesliga, Bayern Munich seem stronger than ever to claim their ninth. With the addition of former Man City starlet Leroy Sane, the Bundesliga reigning champions are an attacking powerhouse.
Schalke hasn’t finished inside the European places since the 2015/16 season in the Bundesliga. A side that has seen a decline in the past few years and from finishing 12th last season, they will hunt for a bounce-back season under former Huddersfield manager David Wagner.
It seems common knowledge to most football fans that under the lights of the Allianz Arena, Bayern Munich are domestically unstoppable. Despite this, Schalke has a tendency to cause an upset every once in a while. The Bavarians coming into the game have the bull by the horns by Schalke won’t go down easy without a fight.
Bayern Munich Team News and Form
Bayern Munich finished with 82 points, a very impressive return. The Bavarians only lost four games out of 34 which shows just how dominant of a force Bayern Munich are in the Bundesliga. Remarkably, Bayern Munich won 76% of all games they played in the Bundesliga last year, one of the best records in Europe.
With a goal difference last season of +68, that figure will be higher this season, with Robert Lewandowski looking to extend his goal-scoring record from last year. Not to mention Serge Gnabry and Kingsley Coman waiting in the wings and the addition of Leroy Sane only bolsters their attacking options.
Bayern Munich has no notable injuries to report, the only player on the sideline is former PSG defender, Tanguy Nianzou.
Schalke Team News and Form
Schalke has seen the departure of two key pieces of the puzzle in Weston McKennie and Jean-Claire Tobido, they have not replaced these departures with significant talent either. They have not won a competitive game in the Bundesliga since 25th January 2020.
Earning an average of 1.15 points per game in the league, and a singular point on the road on average this game looks an arduous task for Schalke. The team looks to be on the decline, but perhaps under a premier league level manager in Wagner, this upcoming season might be one of resurgence.
Schalke are like Bayern in the fact they have no significant injuries in their first-team squad. They will need all of their top players available if they’re looking to get a result away at the Allianz.
Bayern Munich Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- PSG (N) 1-0 Champions League Final win
- Lyon (N) 3-0 Champions League win
- Barcelona (N) 8-2 Champions League win
- Chelsea (H) 4-1 Champions League win
- Marseille (H) 1-0 Friendly win
Schalke Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- VfL Bochum (H) 3-0 Friendly win
- Aris Limassol (H) 1-0 Friendly win
- Uerdingen (H) 3-1 Friendly defeat
- Verl (H) 5-4 Friendly defeat
- VfL Osnabruck (A) 5-1 Friendly win
Bayern Munich Top Goalscorers:
- Robert Lewandowski (34 Bundesliga goals in 2019/20) – One of the best strikers in world football, if not the best.
- Serge Gnabry (12 Bundesliga goals in 2019/20) – A player who has come on leaps and bounds at Bayern Munich, a player at the top of his game at the moment.
Schalke Top Goalscorers:
- Suat Serdar (6 Bundesliga goals in 2019/20) A splendid display this season from Serdar, one of a few shining lights in this Schalke team.
- Amine Harit (5 Bundesliga goals in 2019/20) – A breakout star for Schalke last season, Harit will look to continue his form into the 2020/21 season.
- Bayern Munich hasn’t lost in the league since December 2019
- Lewandowski scored 55 goals in all competition
- Schalke have not beaten Bayern Munich in the league since 2010
- Bayern Average 19.32 shots per game, the highest average in Europe
- Schalke have kept a clean sheet in 21% of matches last year in the Bundesliga
|3rd March 2020||S04 0-1 FCB||DFB Pokal|
|25th January 2020||FCB 5-0 S04||Bundesliga|
|24th August 2019||S04 0-3 FCB||Bundesliga|
|9th February 2019||FCB 3-1 S04||Bundesliga|
|22nd September 2018||S04 0-2 FCB||Bundesliga|
Jake’s Betting Tips
Bayern led at halftime in most of their games last season and only failed to score in one Bundesliga game last season. Bayern to have the lead at halftime is 4/9* with Mark Jarvis.
Schalke have not scored in the last three meetings with Bayern. Bayern Munich only team to score is 21/20* with Mark Jarvis.
There have been under 3.5 goals in three of the last five meetings between these sides. Bayern Munich to Win and Under 3.5 Goals is 7/4* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of time of writing (Wednesday 14th September 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.