Dortmund start their Bundesliga campaign against a stern Monchengladbach side. Jake Perry previews this bout as these two historic clubs will hunt for silverware this season and provide insightful betting tips on this season opener.
Who is playing?
Borussia Dortmund vs Borussia Monchengladbach
What competition is it?
Bundesliga Matchweek 1
What time is Dortmund vs Monchengladbach?
17:30 GMT, Saturday 19th September 2020
Which stadium is hosting Dortmund vs Monchengladbach?
Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund, Germany
What channel is Dortmund vs Monchengladbach on?
BT Sport 1
Dortmund vs Monchengladbach Summary
BVB have such attacking quality that it seems unimaginable that they will not score. With Jadon Sancho still on the team, and Erling Haaland showing no signs of slowing down in front of the goal, we expect the attacking threat of Dortmund to be too hot to handle this season.
Monchengladbach also a talisman of their own in Marcus Thuram, son of football legend Lilium. He had a fantastic campaign in the Bundestag last year and rising star Denis Zakaria made a name for himself defensively. This team has the players to win silverware this season.
Dortmund Team News and Form
Last season, Dortmund had a 62% win rate, the second-highest in the league behind Bayern Munich. In front of goal last year they weren’t too bad either, scoring 84 goals last year. Mainly thanks to attacking starlet Jadon Sancho producing a superb attacking season, along with the recent addition of goal scoring machine Erling Haaland.
In 17 games last year, Dortmund only lost three games at home. The home advantage exists for Borussia Dortmund. Defensively, Mats Hummels and the rest of the defence produced a great showing of defending quality in the Bundesliga last season.
Marco Reus recently came back from injury to play in a few friendlies before the start of the Bundesliga. Expect him to be involved in the first game against Monchengladbach.
Monchengladbach Team News and Form
Monchengladbach had a great season last year, finishing 4th and earning a place in European cup competition. They had a 59% win rate last year, the third best in the league. They also scored 66 goals last year, highlighting the attacking prowess they have in the side.
Marcus Thuram had a marvelous debut campaign in the Bundesliga last year, getting into double digits for the season. The team has improved an awful lot in the past few years; the team is heading in the right direction and silverware could be on the horizon for this team.
Denis Zakaria was injured in the latter stages of the campaign, but we expect he plays some role in the game against BVB.
BVB Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- MSV Duisburg (A) 5-0 DFB Pokal win
- Sparta (H) 2-1 Friendly win
- VfL Bochum (A) 3-1 Friendly defeat
- Paderborn (H) 1-1 Friendly draw
- Austria Wien (H) 11-2 Friendly win
Monchengladbach Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Oberneuland (A) 8-0 DFB Pokal win
- VVV (A) 4-0 Friendly win
- Furth (H) 2-0 Friendly defeat
- Paderborn (H) 2-0 Friendly win
- MSV Duisberg (H) 4-0 Friendly win
BVB Top Goalscorers:
- Jadon Sancho (17 Bundesliga goals in 2019/129) One of the future stars of football, Jadon Sancho is one of the best wingers in world football.
- Erling Haaland (13 goals in Bundesliga 2019/20) – Since joining in January, Haaland has proved he is one of the deadliest strikers around.
Monchengladbach Top Goalscorers:
- Marcus Thuram (10 Bundesliga goals in Bundesliga 2019/20) – The Frenchman has improved his game since coming to Germany, becoming a constant goal threat.
- Alessandra Plea (10 goals in Bundesliga 2019/20) – Another Frenchman that has enjoyed success in Germany, a top striker in the Bundesliga.
- Monchengladbach kept a clean sheet in 21% of their domestic games last season.
- Jude Bellingham became the Youngest scorer in Dortmund’s history at 17 years old.
- Monchengladbach conceded 30% of their goals last year in the final 10 minutes of play.
- Dortmund scored 16% of their goals last season in the final 10 minutes of play.
- Jadon Sancho was 2nd only behind Lionel Messi for goal contributions per 90 minutes last season.
|17th March 2020||BMG 1-2 BVB||Bundesliga|
|30th October 2019||BVB 2-1 BMG||DFB Pokal|
|19th October 2019||BVB 1-0 BMG||Bundesliga|
|18th May 2019||BMG 0-2 BVB||Bundesliga|
|21st December 2018||BVB 2-1 BMG||Bundesliga|
Jake’s Betting Tips
There has been no shortage of goals in previous meetings, and BVB have scored at least twice in their last five opening Bundesliga games. Dortmund Over 1.5 goals is 1/2* with Mark Jarvis.
Borussia Dortmund have won all five of the last meetings between the clubs. Dortmund to win is 6/10* with Mark Jarvis.
Both teams are relentless in front of the goal with their attacking options, and are both coming off big wins in the DFB Pokal. Dortmund + BTTS is 13/8* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (16th September 2020) are subject to change.
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.