Barcelona and Napoli return to Champions League action, aiming to secure a place in the Quarter Finals. We preview the second leg at the Nou Camp, which the visitors will fancy their chances.
Who is playing?
Barcelona vs Napoli (1-1 on agg.)
What competition are Barcelona and Napoli playing in?
UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg
What time is kick off between Barcelona and Napoli?
20:00 BST on Saturday 8th August 2020
What stadium is Barcelona vs Napoli being held?
Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain
What channel is Barcelona vs Napoli on?
BT Sport 2
Barcelona vs Napoli Summary
Barcelona host Napoli at The Nou Camp on Saturday evening with the tie currently level at 1-1 after the first leg in Naples. A clean sheet or victory will see Barca progress to the Quarter Finals.
Antoine Griezmann’s first away Champions League goal since February 2017 not only ensured Barcelona secured a hard-fought 1-1 draw in the first leg but it gave Barca a valuable away goal advantage for the return leg.
Whoever comes out on top in this tie will face either Chelsea or Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of The Champions League.
Barcelona Team News and Form
Barcelona was mostly impressive after the restart, with just one or two surprise results. Seven wins, three draws and one defeat meant they finished the season in second, five points behind Champions Real Madrid but 12 points ahead of Atletico Madrid and Sevilla.
The hosts hasn’t lost a Champions League game at The Nou Camp since May 1, 2013, when Bayern Munich won 3-0 in the second leg of the Champions League semifinals. Since then, 26 different teams have played a Champions League game at The Nou Camp – Barca’s record is 31 wins and 4 draws from these contests.
Sergio Busquets, Jorge Cuenca, Ousmane Dembele, Daniel Morar, Samuel Umtiti and Arturo Vidal are all ruled out through either injury or suspension while Ronald Araujo, Antoine Griezmann and Clement Lenglet are doubts. Ronald Araujo and Ousmane Dembélé could join at least part of the training session with the rest of the players on Wednesday.
Napoli Team News and Form
Napoli finished the Serie A season in seventh position but lost just two of their last nine fixtures (W5, D2, L2), despite both teams scoring in seven of those games.
Scoring first could be crucial as ten of Napoli’s last 11 competitive that didn’t end in a draw in regulation time saw the winner score first. Napoli only won one of their final five Serie A away fixtures (W1, D1, L3) and have lost their last three matches in Spain.
Forward, Lorenzo Insigne and defender, Konstantinos Manolas are both injured while defender Nikola Maksimovic is a doubt.
Head to Head
Barcelona Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Alaves (A) 5-0 La Liga win
- Osasuna (H) 2-1 La Liga defeat
- Valladolid (A) 1-0 La Liga win
- Espanyol (H) 1-0 La Liga win
- Villareal (A) 4-1 La Liga win
Napoli Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Lazio (H) 3-1 Serie A win
- Inter Milan (A) 2-0 Serie A defeat
- Sassuolo (H) 2-0 Serie A win
- Parma (A) 2-1 Serie A defeat
- Udinese (H) 2-1 Serie A win
Barcelona Top Goalscorers
- Lionel Messi (25 La Liga goals, 30 goals in all competitions) – The Argentine had another ridiculous season, putting up crazy numbers in La Liga once again. He has scored after half time in five of Barcelona’s last seven home games.
- Luis Suarez (16 La Liga goals, 19 goals in all competitions) – This is the Uruguayan’s lowest scoring season since the 14/15 season. Despite his injury troubles and turning 33 this year, he is still a major threat in front of goal and one of the most clinical strikers in Europe.
Napoli Top Goalscorers
- Arkadiusz Milik (11 Serie A goals, 14 goals in all competitions) – The Polish international has only started two Champions League games this season but scored a hat trick in the final group game against Genk. He has recently been linked with a move to Juventus.
- Dries Mertens (9 Serie A goals, 16 goals in all competitions) – Mertens has scored six goals in the Champions League this season from six starts and one substitute appearance. The 33-year-old was linked with a move to Chelsea only a couple of months ago.
- Barcelona have won 13 of their last 15 UCL ties at this stage.
- None of Napoli’s last eight games produced a goalless first half.
- Only one of Barcelona’s last seven matches saw a goalless first half.
- Five of Barcelona’s last six UCL games saw both teams score and the opener netted by the 30th minute.
- Barcelona are winless in the last three competitive matches in which they conceded first.
25th February 2020. NAP 1-1 BAR UEFA Champions League
10th August 2019 NAP 0-4 BAR Club Friendly
8th August 2019 BAR 2-1 NAP Club Friendly
6th August 2014 NAP 1-0 BAR Club Friendly
22nd August 2011 BAR 5-0 NAP Club Friendly
Matthew’s Betting Tips
Barcelona are favourites to beat Napoli and reach a record 13th consecutive Champions League quarter final. Mark Jarvis prices them at 4/6* to win in 90 minutes.
Five of Barcelona’s last six UCL games saw both teams score. Barcelona to win and both teams to score is 2/1* with Mark Jarvis.
Dries Mertens has scored three goals in Napoli’s last two Champions League away matches, scoring the opener in both matches. He is 9/4* to score anytime with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Thursday 6th August 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.