Friday night action sees Juventus host Lyon at Allianz Stadium in Turin. We preview this clash that could see The Old Lady avenge for their unexpected defeat in the first leg.
Who is playing?
Juventus FC vs Olympique Lyonnais (0-1 on agg.)
What competition are Juventus and Lyon playing in?
UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg
What time is kick-off between Juventus and Lyon?
20:00 GMT on Friday 7th August 2020
Which stadium is Juventus vs Lyon being held?
Allianz Stadium, Turin, Italy
What channel is Juventus vs Lyon on?
BT Sport 2
Juventus vs Lyon Summary
It is a big clash ahead of us where Juventus host the second leg game against Lyon. The first match between both sides has ended 1-0 for the famous Les Gones putting The Old Lady in a not too splendid position. The hosts can not afford to lose, ideally have to win with the margin of 2 goals to secure a certain spot in the quarter-finals.
It was 23 years old Lucas Tousart who got on the scoresheet making it 1-0 after receiving a fabulous pass from Houssem Aouar in 31st minute. The score hasn’t changed from that point out and has ended as a modest win for the French side.
The winner of this clash will face Real Madrid or Man City. Not the best options to have, considering Los Blancos being this year’s title winners of La Liga and Citizens scoring the most goals in a single season among the top five football leagues – 102.
Juventus Team News and Form
Juventus seems to have rested on their laurels in the last fixtures of Serie A with them losing 3-1 to Roma, 2-0 to Cagliari and 2-1 to Udinese. Moreover, the team has won only six out of 14 games played since the season resumption in June. It’s not what I expect from the team led by the world-famous Cristiano Ronaldo. The question now is will The Old Lady change things around after suffering a setback.
Bianconeri are of a different flavour when playing at Allianz Stadium. They have lost only one home game and shared the points two times with the opposition in Serie A this season. Juve have also conceded only 17 goals at home compared to significantly more 26 when guesting a match. It has happened only once since league resumption when they have lost at Allianz Stadium.
Unfortunately for Juventus, they might play without their favourites Paulo Dybala and Douglas Costa who missed the latest few games of the season and are now in doubt before the game against Lyon.
Lyon Team News and Form
Lyon misses the taste of top-flight competitions with them playing mostly friendly matches for the past five months. The question is will that be a major factor considering Juventus playing 14 games in Serie A and Coppa Italia in the last two months. The team, besides friendly games, played also Coupa de la Ligue final on 31st July against PSG. Unfortunately, they have lost the match after the extra time in penalties. It was Keylor Navas’ incredible save that cost Lyon very much desired cup title.
Les Gones have played with the sides like Royal Antwerp, KAA Gent, Celtic, Rangers and OGC Nice in the friendly matches in July. They have sealed four wins, scored nine goals and conceded seven – not too perfect of a statistic considering Juventus being significantly more difficult opposition to play against.
The team missed the absence of their main man Memphis Depay a lot but since his return in June and not to shabby disposition in friendlies; I expect him to play against Juventus.
Juventus Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Roma (H) 1-3 Serie A defeat
- Cagliari (A) 2-0 Serie A defeat
- Sampdoria (H) 2-0 Serie A win
- Udinese (A) 2-1 Serie A defeat
- Lazio (H) 2-1 Serie A win
Lyon Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- PSG 0-0 (6-5) Coupa de la Ligue defeat
- Royal Antwerp (A) 2-3 Friendly win
- KAA Gent (A) 2-3 Friendly win
- Celtic (H) 2-1 Friendly win
- Rangers (H) 0-2 Friendly defeat
Juventus Top Goalscorers:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Forward): 31 Serie A goals + 5 Champions League goals – The Portuguese forward, despite his age, still proves to be among the best in the world. The famous striker has scored 12 goals in the last 10 home matches across all the competitions.
- Paulo Dybala (Forward): 11 Serie A goals + 3 Champions League goals – Serie A announced the Argentine as the Serie A MVP for the 2019/20 for his major contribution to Juventus’ success in the league. He has scored three goals and recorded one assist in all three home games played in Champions League so far.
Lyon Top Goalscorers:
- Moussa Dembele (Forward): 16 Ligue 1 goals – The Frenchman was the key man in front for Rudi Garcia this season. However, he still hasn’t scored in Champions League, despite hitting the net 22 times so far this season.
- Memphis Depay (Forward): 9 Ligue 1 goals + 5 Champions League goals – The Dutchman, unlike to Moussa Dembele, has scored five goals in the last five matches played in Champions League. Unfortunately, former Man Utd forward has suffered a major injury this season which sidelined him for 200 days until June.
- Juventus has conceded in five of the last 10 home games
- Juventus has lost only once in the last 10 matches at Allianz Stadium in Turin
- The sum of goals in the last 10 Juventus games was over 1.5
- Juventus has scored in every home match in Champions League this season
- Lyon conceded in seven of the last 10 away matches
- Two out of the last three Lyon away games comprised over 4.5 goals scored
- Lyon has won only one away game in Champions League this season
|26th February 2020||LYO 1-0 JUV||Champions League|
|2nd November 2016||JUV 1-1 LYO||Champions League|
|18th October 2016||LYO 0-1 JUV||Champions League|
|10th April 2014||JUV 2-1 LYO||Europa League|
|3rd April 2014||LYO 0-1 JUV||Europa League|
Okan’s Betting Tips
*Odds as of the time of writing (Thursday 6th August) and subject to change.
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.