A quick turnaround in the Champions League sees RB Leipzig take on PSG in the first semi-final on Tuesday. Matthew Hill tips this match having landed five of his last six tips.
Who is playing?
RB Leipzig vs PSG
What competition are RB Leipzig and PSG playing in?
UEFA Champions League Semi Final
What time is kick off between RB Leipzig and PSG?
20:00 BST on Tuesday 18th August 2020
Which stadium is hosting RB Leipzig vs PSG?
Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal
What channel is RB Leipzig vs PSG on?
BT Sport 1
RB Leipzig vs PSG summary
RB Leipzig take on PSG in the first UEFA Champions League Semi Final on Tuesday. There are no second leg ties, meaning this match will decide who will book a place in the final on the weekend.
PSG scored two late goals in a sensational comeback against Atalanta to reach the Champions League semi-finals for the first time in 25 years. While RB Leipzig overcame a typically cautious Atletico Madrid to reach their first ever Champions League semi-final just 11 years after their formation.
Whoever gets through will face either Bayern Munich or Lyon in the Final. So there is the potential for either an all German final or an All French final.
RB Leipzig Team News and Form
After a poor first half against Atletico Madrid, Dani Olmo headed for the German side ahead, but Atletico substitute Joao Felix levelled the tie from the penalty spot.
Madrid were hoping to reach their third final in six years but looked content to take the tie into extra time and sat back for much of the game. RB Leipzig punished Atletico’s characteristic approach two minutes from time when Tyler Adams’ deflected strike sent the German side through.
Timo Werner was a big player for Leipzig during the 19/20 season but the Germany International chose not to finish the season with the Bundesliga outfit as he agreed an early move to Chelsea. Leipzig’s squad is in excellent shape at the moment, though, with Ibrahima Konate who underwent hip surgery last month, their only confirmed absentee heading into the last-four contest.
Leipzig are likely to start with the same lineup as they did against Atletico with Dani Olmo again operating in the position just behind Yussuf Poulsen. Schick, Adams and Forsberg are among those who could come into their manager’s thinking for a starting role, although it is likely to be a case of same again for the German outfit.
PSG Team News and Form
On the 50th anniversary of the club’s formation, it looked like being a familiar story for PSG in the Champions League. It was a frustrating night for Neymar, who was the only bright spark for PSG but missed two good chances. But introducing Mbappe provided an astonishing finale to the first one-legged quarter final.
Brazil forward Neymar, set up a 90th minute equaliser for Marquinhos and substitute Kylian Mbappe set up former Stoke striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting to get the winner.
PSG are set to be without midfielder Marco Verratti and first choice goalkeeper Keylor Navas for the last-four encounter. Verratti missed out against Atalanta with a calf problem and is still struggling, while Navas had to be replaced in the latter stages of their quarter final tie, having picked up a thigh issue, meaning that Sergio Rico is almost certain to feature between the sticks.
Angel di Maria is available again after being suspended against Atalanta, while Layvin Kurzawa remains on the sidelines for Thomas Tuchel’s side with a thigh injury. Kylian Mbappe made his return from an ankle injury off the bench in the quarter-finals and should start on Tuesday night.
Head to Head
RB Leipzig Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Atletico Madrid (N) 2-1 Champions League win
- Wolfsburg (H) 1-1 Friendly draw
- Augsburg (A) 1-2 Bundesliga win
- Borussia Dortmund (H) 0-2 Bundesliga loss
- Fortuna Dusseldorf (H) 2-2 Bundesliga draw
PSG Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Atalanta (N) 2-1 Champions League win
- Sochaux (H) 1-0 Friendly win
- Lyon (N) 0-0 (6-5) Coupe de la Ligue win
- Saint Etienne (H) 1-0 Coupe de France win
- Celtic (H) 4-0 Friendly win
RB Leipzig Top Goalscorers
- Emil Forsberg (5 Bundesliga goals + 4 Champions League goals) – The Swedish attacker has four goals and one assist in the Champions League this season from five starts and three substitute appearances.
- Marcel Sabitzer (9 Bundesliga goals + 4 Champions League goals) – The Austrian attacking midfielder has got four goals and three assists in the Champions League this season from 8 starts.
PSG Top Goalscorers
- Kylian Mbappe (18 Ligue 1 goals + 5 Champions League goals) – The French forward’s 18 goals in Ligue 1 meant he won the golden boot. In the Champions League this season, he has got five goals and six assists from just four starts and four substitute appearances.
- Mauro Icardi (12 Ligue 1 goals + 5 Champions League goals) – Icardi has got five goals in seven Champions League starts this season.
- RB Leipzig are the first German side other than Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund to reach the semi finals of the Champions League since Schalke did so in 2010/11.
- Marcel Sabitzer registered his 26th goal involvement in all competitions for RB Leipzig this season (16 goals, 10 assists), 8 more than any other RB Leipzig player.
- PSG are in their first Champions League semi-final for 25 years while RB Leipzig are in their first ever Champions League semi-final after only being formed 11 years ago.
Source: BBC Sport
Tuesday’s semi-final will be the first-ever competitive meeting between these two teams. However, Leipzig beat PSG 4-2 in a friendly back in July 2014.
Matthew’s Betting Tips
This season Leipzig scored 1.78 goals per game and PSG scored 2.44 goals per game. Over 2.5 goals is 8/13* with Mark Jarvis.
PSG scored two late goals in the 90th and 93rd minute to reach the semi-finals. Their attacking threat could just be the difference towards the end of the game. PSG to score in 76-90 minute period is 6/4* with Mark Jarvis.
Mbappe’s 18 goals in Ligue 1 meant he won the golden boot. In the Champions League this season, he has got 5 goals and 6 assists from just 4 starts and 4 substitute appearances. He normally turns up for the big occasions, for example for France during the 2018 World Cup. Mbappe to score two or more is 17/4* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Monday 17th August 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.