It’s the second out of the two semi-finals held this mid-week where the underdog Olympique Lyon face the Bundesliga title holders Bayern at Estadio Jose Alvalade. Okan Iskin looks ahead to this exciting clash in Lisbon, having landed five out of his last nine tips.
Who is playing?
Olympique Lyonnais vs Bayern Munich
What competition are Lyon and Bayern playing in?
UEFA Champions League Semi Final
What time is kick-off between Lyon and Bayern?
20:00 GMT on Wednesday 19th August 2020
Which stadium is hosting Lyon vs Bayern?
Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon, Portugal
What channel is Lyon vs Bayern on?
BT Sport 1
Lyon vs Bayern Summary
History repeats itself as Lyon faces Bayern again in Champions League semi-finals after 10 years. Considering all the matches being played as a straight knockout round, this should be a splendid spectacle in which the second finalist will be revealed.
There’s plenty of reason to get excited before this huge clash. With Bayern looking to add the third trophy to their name this season and Lyon being an underdog and eliminating big deals like Juventus or Man City on their way to glory; this should be an absolute Festival for the eyes.
The winner of this clash will face either RB Leipzig or PSG in the Champions League final.
Lyon Team News and Form
Unfortunately, Lyon has finished this season on the 7th place since Ligue 1 has ended fixtures in March and not resume them in June. This means the French side won’t qualify to the European Cups next season If they do not seal this year’s Champions League, which has never happened before in the club’s history.
The famous Les Gones have already eliminated Juventus in a two-legged tie and devastated Guardiola’s men in an impressive 3-1 win. They have scored two late goals within the last 15 minutes of regular time against Man City last time out. The team doesn’t present any outstanding statistics as they concede 1.22 goals per game and are averaging a mediocre 1.56 GPG. They have kept only two clean sheets so far and nothing should change when facing the offensive brilliancy of Bayern Munich.
Luckily for Olympique Lyon, they have no reported injuries which should be good news for the team aspiring and dreaming of the first Champions League trophy.
Bayern Team News and Form
Bayern Munich has absolutely dominated Bundesliga as they have finished 1st with 13 points gap to 2nd Borussia Dortmund. Not only that, but they have also won DFB Pokal and are looking forward to sealing yet another trophy this season. This should not be a tough task considering the German side being the strongest candidate to lift this year’s Champions League trophy on 23rd August 2020.
This is the last test for Bayern before the ultimate finals. They have already demolished Barcelona and Chelsea by scoring striking 15 goals in just three matches. They have been the first team to score against their oppositions in the knockout stages so far. Overall, the team have registered the highest in the history of Champions League 4.33 GPG and has conceded eight goals in nine matches so far.
Bayern Munich will play without the like of Benjamin Pavard because of his ligament injury, which should not be a problem as Joshua Kimmich is Hans-Dieter Flick’s first choice on the right-back position.
Lyon Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Man City (N) 3-1 Champions League win
- Juventus (A) 2-1 Champions League defeat
- PSG (A) 0-0 Coupe de la Ligue defeat (penalties)
- Gent (A) 3-2 Club friendly win
- Celtic (H) 2-1 Club friendly win
Bayern Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Barcelona (N) 8-2 Champions League win
- Chelsea (H) 4-1 Champions League win
- Marseille (H) 1-0 Friendly win
- Bayer Leverkusen (A) 4-2 Bundesliga win
- Wolfsburg (A) 4-0 Bundesliga win
Lyon Top Goalscorers:
- Moussa Dembele (16 Ligue 1 goals + 2 Champions League goals) – The French striker was one hero of the last clash against Man City. He has scored two goals and sealed a win for his team.
- Memphis Depay (9 Ligue 1 goals + 6 Champions League goals) – The former Man Utd player has been a very important part of the squad up front since joining Lyon in 2017. Last time he scored was against Juventus in the round of 16.
Bayern Top Goalscorers:
- Robert Lewandowski (34 Bundesliga goals + 14 Champions League goals) – The Polish forward has scored in every Champions League game this season so far. He is the tournament’s current leader with 14 goals to his name.
- Serge Gnabry (12 Bundesliga goals + 7 Champions League goals) – The German winger has also redounded to Bayern’s outstanding 8-2 victory against Barca by scoring one goal and recording one assist. He has been a very important and impactful part of the squad ever since joining Bayern in 2017.
- Robert Lewandowski has currently 14 goals to his name and is only three goals away from tying the Champions League record set by Cristiano Ronaldo in 2013/14 season.
- Bayern Munich has currently the best goals per game ratio in a single Champions League season (4.33). The second place in this qualification belongs to Real Madrid with tremendously lower 3.15 GPG which was set in the 2013/14 season.
- Hans-Dieter Flick has already won DFB Pokal and Bundesliga in his managerial season debut in Bayern and could add first-ever Champions League title to his short trophy list.
- Rudi Garcia has never won Champions League trophy in his managerial career.
- The last time Lyon has reached Champions League semi-finals was one decade ago when they have also faced Bayern Munich. Unfortunately, it was the German side who progressed to the ultimate stage of the tournament.
|27th April 2010||LYO 0-3 BAY||Champions League|
|21st April 2010||BAY 1-0 LYO||Champions League|
|10th December 2008||LYO 2-3 BAY||Champions League|
|30th September 2008||BAY 1-1 LYO||Champions League|
|5th November 2003||BAY 1-2 LYO||Champions League|
Okan’s Betting Tips
I certainly consider Bayern after demolishing every opponent on their way as the most plausible winner of this year’s Champions League. They have been averaging an outstanding record of 4.33 GPG whilst Lyon 1.56 GPG. Bayern and Over 1.5 goals is 1/3* with Mark Jarvis.
Lyon has missed scoring only once in Champions League this season whilst Bayern hasn’t gone blank so far. BTTS has happened six out of nine times for Lyon and five out of nine for Bayern in Champions League. Both teams to score is 8/11* with Mark Jarvis.
The Polish man in front has scored in every Champions League game this season. He achieved to hit the net two or more times in three out of eight games played so far. Lewandowski two or more goals is 7/5* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Tuesday 18th August) and subject to change.
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.