Inter Milan are coming off the back of losing Serie A to a single point. With the pressure on manager Antonio Conte to line the trophy cabinet, we preview the one off tie against a team with something to prove.
Who is playing?
Inter Milan vs Getafe CF
What competition is it?
UEFA Europa League Round of 16
What time is Inter Milan vs Getafe?
20:00 GMT, Wednesday 5th August 2020
Where is Inter Milan vs Getafe being played?
Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Where can I watch this game?
BT Sport 2
Thoughts on Inter Milan vs Getafe
The tie is only one of two in the remaining last 16 games in the Europa League to be one legged. The match will therefore take place in a neutral venue, the home of Schalke. Neither of Inter’s matchup with Getafe nor Roma and Sevilla’s tie could play their first legs before lockdown, and will level the playing field for both sides. Getafe however could see the set of circumstances as a negative. The Madridians will miss out on the benefit of a home leg against challenging opposition, who overcame last season’s Champions League semi finalists Ajax in the previous round of 32.
Antonio Conte’s outfit completed the Serie A season with a more than credible second place finish, but will rue the missed opportunities to capitalise and take home what would have been their second Scudetto in ten years. Getafe are in torrid form since football’s resumption, slipping away from a European place. The winner will face either of Bayer Leverkusen or Rangers. Both sides with a lot to prove and play for, but the quality disparity between the sides will tell in this one.
Conte’s Milan swan song?
Behind the scenes turmoil seems to grab much of the headlines concerning the San Siro club of late. Antonio Conte’s Inter crashed out of a difficult Champions League group containing Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund, all the while effectively surrendering the league in a July where only 18 points from and available 27 were picked up.
Notwithstanding this, the Italian has said that he will hold out to see how his side fares in the UEFA’s second competition before making a call on his future. With I Nerazzurri second favourites to lift the trophy and rumours circulating of new big money incomings for next season, exit talk may just hold fire for the moment.
The disappointing conclusion of the domestic season can’t overshadow Inter’s ability to win, and do so convincingly. 6 of their last 7 wins have been by two clear goals or more, and with no fresh injury concerns ahead of the match, Conte will have his key players at his discretion in hope of convincingly sweeping aside the Spanish team.
Getafe and what could have been
Jose Bordalas’ side have regressed since the completion of last season. From narrowly missing out on Champions League football to missing out on Europe all together this campaign, Getafe’s hope of a continental road trip next year lies in reaching the final and overcoming Inter Milan, and in doing so would equal their best finish in Europe since 2007/08.
Los Azulones have only attained the one victory since lockdown, but won’t go out without putting their stamp on the game. Getafe will do well to stop the might of the Romelu Lukaku/ Lautaro Martinez strike force, but have the fourth best defensive record in La Liga, conceding only 37 goals. A giant killing cannot totally be out of the question either, having eliminated European giant Ajax in the round of 32.
Bordalas and his men fortunately have a clean bill of health going into this challenging fixture against one of the tournament favourites.
Inter Milan last five matches:
- Atalanta (A) 2-0 Win
- Napoli (H) 2-0 Win
- Genoa (A) 3-0 Win
- Fiorentina (H) 0-0 Draw
- Roma (A) 2-2 Draw
Getafe last five matches:
- Levante (A) 1-0 Loss
- Atletico Madrid (H) 2-0 Loss
- Deportivo Alaves (A) 0-0 Draw
- Villarreal (H) 3-1 Loss
- Osasuna (A) 0-0 Draw
Inter Milan top contributors:
- Romelu Lukaku (Forward)- 4 goals and 3 assists in 7 European appearances this season: The former Manchester United man has adapted to Italian football brilliantly and had a stellar first season. His overall season total is 29 and has struck up a partnership with Lautaro Martinez, to the envy of some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
- Lautaro Martinez (Forward)- 5 goals in 7 European appearances this season: ‘The Bull’ as Inter colloquially refer him to has been on the transfer hit list of the pride of Europe. His natural and physical presence in the eighteen yard area will ensure it will be a long evening for Getafe.
Getafe top contributors:
- Jaime Mata (Forward)- 3 goals and 1 assist in 6 European appearances this season- The ‘Spanish Jamie Vardy’ was the coined term given to Mata given his meteoric rise from non-league football to the top tier of the Spanish game, including a cap for the national team. The striker was vital in last season’s attempt in getting to the Champions League and has come up with the goods this term with his direct style.
- Jorge Molina (Forward) 1 goal in 5 European appearances this season- The theme of the ‘everyman’ player continues with Molina. The 38-year-old only started in professional football at 25 and has very much been the experienced voice in the dressing room.
This is the first time the sides have met
Ryan’s Betting Tips
*Odds as of time of writing (Tuesday August 4th) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.