Inter go into this clash as firm favourites, but Shakhtar are a free scoring side with a tinge of Brazilian flair running through it. Having landed 7 tips in his last three games, Ryan Fitzgerald-Nolan previews this box office European semi final.
Who is playing?
Inter Milan vs Shakhtar Donetsk
What competition are Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk playing in?
UEFA Europa League Semi Final
What time is kick off between Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk?
20:00 GMT on Monday 17th August 2020
Which stadium is hosting Inter Milan vs Shakhtar Donetsk?
Merkur Spiel- Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
What channel is Inter Milan vs Shakhtar Donetsk on?
BT Sport 1
Inter Milan vs Shakhtar Donetsk Summary
As the Europa League reaches it’s boiling point, it spoils neutrals for choice. A Shakhtar Donetsk upset? Sevilla to make it their fourth Europa League this decade? Or a battle of the favourites, where old Manchester United teammates return to take on their former club?
Antonio Conte’s Inter Milan will do their best to not make it a trophyless season. Unrest on the future of the Italian at the club has plagued much coverage of I Nerazzurri recently, all the while when doing the job on the pitch when it matters, in Europe at least.
Shakhtar have picked up their third Ukrainian Premier League in four years and come off the back of convincing defeats of Wolfsburg and Basel, but come into the tie at the as firm underdogs.
Inter Milan Team News and Form
Antonio Conte’s Inter earned a respectable second place finish in Serie A this season, running Juventus down to the last day. The Europa League however offers their only chance to fill the trophy cabinet after early exits from both the Champions League and Coppa Italia.
The Italian side have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with, maintaining a consistent ten match unbeaten run in the wake of a dip in form that eventually cost them domestic glory. Conte has set his side up in typical fashion of the Italian, a flexible three or five-man back line (dependent on whether in attack or defence), spearheaded by a formidable striking partnership made up of Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku.
I Nerazzurri go into the game without Matias Vecino, who misses out with a knee injury. They will look to deploy their lethal attacking partnership of Lukaku and Martinez, both of whom have accounted for 49% of their side’s goals this season. Inter will also have ex- Manchester United duo Alexis Sanchez and Ashley Young to set up a possible mouthwatering encounter against their former club for the final.
Shakhtar Donetsk Team News and Form
Shakhtar are hunting for their second UEFA Cup/ Europa League triumph since 2009, when they picked up the trophy in Istanbul against Werder Bremen. With the then man of the match Darijo Srna in the dugout, they will look to find inspiration in a squad littered with experience and tenacity.
The Ukranian’s run to this year’s semi final came in the wake of a group stage exit in a group made up of Manchester City, Atalanta and Dinamo Zagreb, where they conceded 13 goals over a lapse of six games. Their recent form however will be grounds for encouragement, too unbeaten in ten and won by two clear goals in half of their games.
Junior Moraes starred in recent victories over Wolfsburg and Basel, netting three times in the convincing wins. Shakhtar will be without long-term absentees Ismaily and Vladyslav Vakula, but have no fresh concerns before travelling to Dusseldorf on Monday.
Head to Head
Inter Milan Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Bayer 04 Leverkusen (H) 2-1 UEFA Europa League win
- Getafe (H) 2-0 UEFA Europa League win
- Atalanta (A) 2-0 Serie A win
- Napoli (H) 2-0 Serie A win
- Genoa (A) 3-0 Serie A win
Shakhtar Donetsk Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Basel (H) 4-1 UEFA Europa League win
- Wolfsburg (H) 3-0 UEFA Europa League win
- Veres Rivne (H) 2-0 Friendly win
- Oleksandria (A) Ukrainian Premier League draw
- Kolos Kovalivka (H) 2-0 Ukrainian Premier League win
Inter Milan Top Goalscorers:
- Romelu Lukaku (23 Serie A goals + 6 European goals)- Lukaku has remained the Milan club’s lighthouse throughout the season, starting strong and netting over thirty goals in his first season in Italy.
- Lautaro Martinez (19 Serie A goals + 5 European goals)- The young Argentine is looking the stake his claim as his countries number one striker in years to come, with his physical presence and ball control the primary attributes that are attracting eyes all over world football.
Shakhtar Donetsk Top Goalscorers:
- Junior Moraes (17 Premier Liga goals + 6 European goals)- The 33-year-old shows no sign of stopping, leading his side to a league title after joining from rival Dynamo Kyiv in 2018.
- Marlos (9 Premier Liga goals)- The Brazilian connection at the Ukranian outfit is epitomised with the winger, the longest serving member of the current squad.
- Both teams are on a ten match unbeaten run (Inter: W7, D3; Shakhtar: W8, D2)
- Romelu Lukaku has scored in nine consecutive Europa League games
- Inter have scored in each of their last 9 European games
- Inter are unbeaten against Ukranian opposition (W5, D3)
- Shakhtar have won four of the last five Europa League games
|24th August 2005||INT 1-1 SHA||UEFA Champions League|
|10th August 2005||SHA 0-2 INT||UEFA Champions League|
Ryan’s Betting Tips
Unbeaten in their last ten games and with a win percentage of 60% in Europe this season. Inter Milan or Draw is 2/9* with Mark Jarvis.
Inter Milan have failed to score at least twice in only one of their last ten matches. Inter Milan are 7/10* to score over 1.5 goals with Mark Jarvis.
Inter Milan and Over 2.5 goals is 6/4* with Mark Jarvis, after only 23% of both team’s games in Europe this campaign have ended in under 2.5 goals.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Thursday 13th August) and subject to change.
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.