It’s an exciting Sunday night-action and nothing is certain at this point as Sevilla face Man Utd in Europa League semi-finals at Esprit Arena. Okan Iskin looks ahead to this match in Dusseldorf, having landed five of his last nine betting tips.
Who is playing?
Sevilla FC vs Manchester United
What competition are Sevilla and Man Utd playing in?
UEFA Europa League Semi Final
What time is kick-off between Sevilla and Man Utd?
20:00 GMT on Sunday 16th August 2020
Which stadium is Sevilla vs Man Utd being held?
Esprit Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
What channel is Sevilla vs Man Utd on?
BT Sport 1
Sevilla vs Man Utd Summary
Sevilla after defeating Wolves in quarter-finals now progresses to semi-finals in which they will face yet another English team, this time Man Utd. Both sides are certainly very much familiarised with Europa League as they have won 4 titles combined in the past decade; Sevilla lifted the trophy three times whilst Man Utd only once in 2016/17 season. Although considering this being a straight knockout round, we should expect both sides sweat blood to once again experience the Europa League ultimate stage.
Both teams have already faced each other in Europa League, however, it was Man Utd at that time who came as a weaker opponent and lost 2-1 in a two-legged tie. The question now is will sharply looking Red Devils redeem themselves for their past or not.
The winner of the upcoming Sunday night-action will face Inter Milan or Shakhtar Donetsk in the final in Cologne on 21st August. This isn’t their first rodeo either, as both teams have already seen Europa League glory in the past.
Sevilla Team News and Form
As a team who finished 4th in La Liga with a 10 points gap to 5th Villareal, this was a very successful season. When speaking of the Europa League, the things couldn’t have been better. The Spaniards have been back to back putting on impressive performances and nothing seemed to change since the season resumption in June; they haven’t lost a single game and have eliminated 2-0 Roma and later on 1-0 Wolverhampton from Europa League.
Sevilla has not only been unbeaten for straight 19 consecutive games but also haven’t lost a single goal in the last five matches. They have produced an impressive statistic in Europa League by averaging 1.80 GPG and only 0.40 conceded per game. Results like 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 have happened frequently for the Spaniards – in 60% of the games so far in Europa League – but considering Man Utd being an enormous threat, this shouldn’t be an easy form to maintain. We also know sevilla for their rock-solid defence; they have kept a clean sheet in 70% of the games in Europa League so far.
Fortunately for Sevilla, there have been no reports saying about squad injuries or suspensions, besides Nemanja Gudelj who tested positive for coronavirus before the game against Wolverhampton. I expect Sevilla to play with the similar starting lineup to the one we saw against Roma or Wolves.
Man Utd Team News and Form
Man Utd has had one of the best seasons so far in years. Finishing in 3rd and getting qualified to Champions League should be a joyful moment for Red Devils. They also had After an exhausting 120 minutes against Copenhagen the team will face yet another obstacle in the form of Sevilla side before their reach very much craved Europa League final.
The red side of Manchester has ended their Premier League season with an impressive unbeaten run in 14 games. Since the football resumption in June, they have scored 30 goals and conceded approximately 0.85 goals per game. They should come up as a stronger side in the game against Sevilla; they have registered an impressive 2.18 GPG and kept clean sheets in 73% of the games so far in Europa League.
United have not included Phil Jones nor Luke Shaw to the squad for further stages of Europa League because of injuries. Fortunately, Brandon Williams has been solidly covering for Luke Shaw’s absence on the left-back position. I expect Man Utd to play similar starting lineup to the one we saw against Copenhagen with maybe some slight changes in midfield.
Sevilla Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Wolves (N) 1-0 Europa League win
- Roma (N) 2-0 Europa League win
- Valencia (H) 1-0 La Liga win
- Real Sociedad (A) 0-0 La Liga draw
- RCD Mallorca (H) 2-0 La Liga win
Man Utd Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Copenhagen (N) 1-0 Europa League win
- LASK (H) 2-1 Europa League win
- Leicester (A) 0-2 Premier League win
- West ham (H) 1-1 Premier League draw
- Chelsea (N) 1-3 FA Cup defeat
Sevilla Top Goalscorers:
- Lucas Ocampos (14 La Liga goals + 1 Europa League goal) – The Argentinian seems to found himself under the wing of Julen Lopetegui since moving from Marseille in June 2019. A very important part for the Spaniards this season whose late goal against Wolverhampton has secured Sevilla a promotion to the semi-finals.
- Munir El-Haddadi (5 La Liga goals + 5 Europa League goals) – Once one of the biggest Barcelona prospects, now a Sevilla player. The Spaniard is a versatile player and can play either on the wing or as a No.9 in front. He has contributed massively to Sevilla in Europa League so far by scoring five goals and recording one assist.
Man Utd Top Goalscorers:
- Anthony Martial (17 Premier League goals + 4 Europa League goals) – The Frenchman scored a goal against LASK in the Round of 16 and was one of the best on the pitch for Man Utd against Copenhagen.
- Marcus Rashford (17 Premier League goals + 1 Europa League goal) – English forward and one of Ole’s favourite has been very crucial and impactful on Man Utd finishing in 3rd this season. Most commonly playing as a left-winger has created many opportunities for his fellow teammates as well as caused big havoc for defenders with his outstanding speed.
- Sevilla finished 19/20 La Liga season in 4th place, qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage for the sixth time.
- Man Utd finished in 3rd place and secured a spot in Champions League next season after winning against Leicester City in the last Premier League fixture.
- Sevilla have won the most titles (5) in Europa League history
- The last time Man Utd played against Spanish side was on 16th April 2019 when they lost 4-0 in a two-legged tie against Barcelona in the Champions League quarter-finals.
- Both Julen Lopetegui and Ole Gunnar Solskjær haven’t won neither Europa League nor Champions League in their managerial careers.
|13th March 2018||MUN 1-2 SEV||Champions League|
|21st February 2018||SEV 0-0 MUN||Champions League|
Okan’s betting tips
Man Utd has drawn once in the group stage and now against Copenhagen in the first 90 minutes. They would have also drawn against LASK If not the late goal from Martial in 88th minute. Man Utd or Draw is 4/11* with Mark Jarvis.
The last confrontation between both sides has ended 2-1 where all three goals have been scored in the second half. Also, 68% of Man Utd’s goals and 64% of Sevilla’s goals have been scored after the first 45 minutes in Europa League this season. 2nd half with the most goals is 11/10* with Mark Jarvis.
Bruno Fernandes is the number one pick for Man Utd in scoring penalties. Moreover, the Portuguese midfielder was the sole goalscorer against Copenhagen last time out. Bruno Fernandes anytime scorer is 9/5* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Friday 14th August) and subject to change.
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.