Sevilla are the home team in this tie, but will play in Germany against Roma in the Europa League. We preview this bout to determine who will advance, and who will fall.
Who is playing?
Sevilla vs Roma (0-0 agg.)
What competition is it?
Europa League, Round of 16 2nd leg
What time is Sevilla vs Roma?
17:55 GMT, Thursday 6th August 2020
Where do Sevilla play their home games?
Schauinsland-Reisen-Arena, Duisburg, Germany
Where can I watch this game?
Thoughts on Sevilla vs Roma
The most successful club in Europa League history in Sevilla host a Roma side that finished 5th in this season in the Serie A. Sevilla entered the knockout stages of the competition as group A winners securing 15 points from a possible 18. Roma had a nervy route to get to the round of 16, qualifying for the knockout stages on the final matchday of the group stages taking them to 2nd in group J. The Italian side finished the group stage on nine points from six games.
The Spanish side have a knack for winning this European competition so it begs the question will history repeat itself, or will Roma cause another upset for a Spanish side in European competition following the win over Barcelona in 2018.
6th Europa League triumph for Sevilla?
Sevilla is up there with some favourites to go the distance and win the Europa League this season. Scoring an average of 1.9 goals per game and conceding 0.5 per game, the side have shown their ability to outscore opponents and win games through attacking firepower. They have also won 63% of their games played in the Europa League this season. A number in the top 5 of teams remaining in the competition.
Domestically, they have averaged 1.95 points at home this season, a brilliant record at home. Also, scoring 1.37 goals per game at home and conceding 0.74 games per game at home shows how good this side can be when it plays on their own turf. It will take a lot for Roma to come to Seville and advance going off these statistics.
Last eight beckons for the Italian Stallions
Roma has been a side that in recent years, has managed to win big games when needed in European competitions. This season in the Europa League, Roma have only lost one game, winning three and drawing four. Having scored 1.8 goals per game and conceding 0.9 goals per game, this game is shaping out to be a shootout in the attacking force for both sides.
In Italy this season, they have been better away from home than playing at home, earning 1.89 points per game away from home this season in Serie A. All that is left to be desired for Roma fans is they average a clean sheet in 26% of their away games. Their defence has not been up to scratch with other European teams, although the front 6 of the team have been clinical enough to warrant a place in the Europa League knockout stages.
Sevilla last five matches:
- Valencia (H) 1-0 Win
- Real Sociedad (A) 0-0 Draw
- RCD Mallorca (H) 2-0 Win
- Bilbao (A) 2-1 Win
- Eibar (H) 1-0 Win
Roma last five matches:
- Juventus (A) 3-1 Win
- Torino (A) 3-2 Win
- Fiorentina (H) 2-1 Win
- SPAL (A) 6-1 Win
- Inter Milan (H) 2-2 Draw
Sevilla top contributors:
- Lucas Ocampos (Forward) Since joining from Marseille, the Argentine has been a revelation in Seville. This season the marksman has bagged 14 league goals, scoring against big-name opposition throughout the season too shows just why he may be a vital player for Sevilla in this tie.
- Jesus Navas (Midfielder) The Sevilla academy graduate has been brilliant in his second spell at the club. This season he has been the assist king for the side, registering 7 league assists, he still has the flair and tricks that enticed Manchester City into buying him in 2013 so don’t think that Roma and their full-backs will have an easy outing this Friday.
Roma top contributors:
- Edin Dzeko (Forward) Another former Manchester City player, Edin Dzeko has been a top-class number 9 for Roma since his arrival. This year alone he scored 16 league goals, which at 34 years old, is proving that Dzeko is aging like fine wine in Italian football.
- Lorenzo Pellegrini (Midfielder) Pellegrini plays a role in the Roma side that is arguably the most important, he keeps the ball moving and the attack flowing and has registered 9 assists in Serie A this season. A threat in and around the Midfield, Roma must use his ball-playing skills to their advantage against Sevilla.
|10th August 2017||SEV 2-1 ROM||Friendly|
|14th August 2014||ROM 6-4 SEV||Friendly|
Jake’s Betting Tips
*Odds as of time of writing (Wednesday 5th August 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.