A quick turnaround in the Europa League as Shakhtar Donetsk take on Basel in the Quarter Final stages in Germany. We preview this one-leg tie that could see either of these sides cause a potential upset in the Semi Finals to come later this week.
Who is playing?
Shakhtar Donetsk vs Basel
What competition are Shakhtar and Basel playing in?
UEFA Europa League Quarter Final
What time is kick off between Shakhtar and Basel?
20:00 BST on Tuesday 11th August 2020
Which stadium is Shakhtar vs Basel being held at?
Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
What channel is Shakhtar vs Basel on?
BT Sport 2
Shakhtar vs Basel Summary
This tie guarantees one of these underdogs for the tournament a surprise spot in the semi finals of this year’s UEFA Europa League. Shakhtar Donetsk made simple work of Wolfsburg in the previous round, whilst Basel already had one door in the Quarter Finals as they made sure they kept their huge aggregate lead over Eintracht Frankfurt.
It says a lot about these two teams that they have steamrolled their way past two very established Bundesliga sides to get to this stage. Shakhtar scored three goals late on, including a goal from their key man Junior Moraes, but were the much better side throughout the tie. A 1-0 win against Adi Hutter’s Frankfurt side meant Basel kept another Europa League clean sheet.
The winner of this tie will take on the winner of the tie between Inter Milan United and Copenhagen, with the potential of an all-English Europa League Semi Final between United and Wolves.
Shakhtar Team News and Form
The Ukrainian outfit looked strong against Wolfsburg, however the away side was missing several players and was far from match sharp. It is difficult to tell how well this Shakhtar side did, and this tie against Basel, who also only just finished their domestic season before the Europa League resumed, will give us a better idea.
The domestic champions, featuring several exciting Brazilians in their side, have scored in every second half in the Europa League so far. Two goals from Moraes either side of a goal from Israeli forward Marus Solomon sealed a valiant and deserved win over the Wolves in a clash that ended 10-v-10.
The player to get sent off was Davit Khocholava, who will miss this game through suspension. They will probably draft in defender Serhiy Bolbat, but other than that keep a very similar starting lineup that included Brazilians Alan Patrick, Taison and top goalscorer Moraes.
Basel Team News and Form
Basel made sure that they used their match sharpness to their advantage over Frankfurt, who had only played one friendly match in preparation since June. Unlike other sides coming into this tie, Basel’s schedule handed them a very unfortunate last match in their domestic league on the Monday before playing in the Europa League on the Thursday.
Similarly to Shakhtar, the goal came late on in the form of Fabian Frei’s on 88 minutes, who could stroll past a tired Frankfurt defence to slot his fifth Europa League goal this season. Basel know how to get into the latter rounds of this competition too, having reached the Semi Final back in 2012/13.
A few more concerns for Basel than Shakhtar heading into this one as Jonas Omlin, Ramires and Luca Zuffi are all unavailable for selection because of injury. Having picked up a booking against Frankfurt, Eray Cormet will be suspended for this one-legged clash. However, they still have their key men in striker Arthur Cabral and goal scoring midfielder Frei to start this match.
Head to Head
Shakhtar Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Wolfsburg (H) 3-0 Europa League win
- Veres-Rivne (H) 2-0 Friendly win
- Oleksandriya (A) 2-2 UPL draw
- Kolos Kovalivka (H) 2-0 UPL win
- Desna (A) 2-4 UPL win
Basel Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Frankfurt (H) 1-0 Europa League win
- Luzern (H) 0-0 Swiss Super League draw
- Thun (A) 0-0 Swiss Super League draw
- Lugano (H) 4-4 Swiss Super League draw
- St. Gallen (A) 1-3 Swiss Super League win
Shakhtar Top Goalscorers
- Junior Moraes (19 Ukrainian Premier League goals + 3 Europa League goals) – Experienced Brazilian forward who has scored goals against the likes of Atalanta and Dinamo Zagreb this season. He scored in both legs against Wolfsburg in the last round.
- Taison (10 Ukrainian Premier League goals) – Tricky Brazilian who had his best scoring season with the club but is yet to score in the Europa League this season.
Basel Top Goalscorers
- Arthur Cabral (14 Swiss Super League goals + 2 Europa League goals) – Young Brazilian forward on loan from Palmeiras, top scorer for the club this season.
- Fabian Frei (10 Swiss Super League goals + 5 Europa League goals) – Experienced Swiss midfielder with a goal-scoring threat. Has scored five times in the Europa League, with three in his last three in the competition.
- Shakhtar are one of three UEFA Champions League group stage participants to have reached the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals, along with Bayer Leverkusen and Internazionale.
- Basel’s 1-0 win against Frankfurt last time out was their fifth successive clean sheet in the UEFA Europa League, equalling a competition record that they share with five other clubs – Arsenal, Manchester United, Napoli, Salzburg and Villarreal.
- Shakhtar’s 11 matches against Swiss opponents have yielded seven wins, including five out of five in Ukraine. They have won two and lost two of their four knockout ties with Swiss clubs, losing the most recent on penalties to Young Boys in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round after a pair of 2-0 home wins.
|9th July 2015||BAS 1-3 SHK||Club Friendly|
|26th June 2010||BAS 1-0 SHK||Club Friendly|
|8th July 2009||BAS 0-3 SHK||Uhren Cup|
|26th November 2008||SHK 5-0 BAS||UEFA Champions League|
|16th September 2008||BAS 1-2 SHK||UEFA Champions League|
Sam’s Betting Tips
There should be goals in this one, as both sides rarely have 0-0 draws and there have been plenty of goals in their head-to-head meetings down the years. Over 1.5 Goals is 2/7* with Mark Jarvis.
The Ukrainian outfit are the slight favourites and I think will edge their Swiss opponents. Shakhtar to Win is 17/20* with Mark Jarvis.
Junior Moraes has netted three goals in his last two appearances in the Europa League. The Brazilian is 13/10* to score anytime with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Monday 10th August 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.