It is this time of the season when we can all just sit, relax and enjoy the first Istanbul derby in 2020/21. Both teams will face each other this Sunday at Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium with high hopes of sealing an important win in this one.
Who is playing?
Istanbul Basaksehir vs Galatasaray
What competition is Istanbul Basaksehir and Galatasaray playing in?
Turkish Super Lig Matchweek 2
What time is Istanbul Basaksehir vs Galatasaray?
17:00 GMT, Sunday 20th September 2020
Which stadium is hosting Istanbul Basaksehir vs Galatasaray?
Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey
What channel is Istanbul Basaksehir vs Galatasaray on?
Bein Sports Turkey
Istanbul Basaksehir vs Galatasaray Summary
It is Basaksehir versus Galatasaray and the first Istanbul derby of the season Turkish fans have been all waiting for. After a disappointing start of the season, Basaksehir will try to redeem themselves against Galatasaray who unlikely to last year’s champions have started the season with three points.
Basaksehir’s defensive fortress accompanied by a huge offensive threat up-front has translated into an impressive home record of 12-4-1 last season. The team doesn’t loose easily and I can see them make things a lot harder for Radamel Falcao, looking to add another goal to his name.
Galatasaray is on their way of making things better for them since suffering an enormous setback on the home stretch last season. They will play the clash against Basaksehir outside of their comfort zone at Fatih Terim Stadium, but since their impressive start to the season I can see them giving hard time to the current Super Lig champions.
Istanbul Basaksehir Team News and Form
What a season it has been for Istanbul Basaksehir… Not only they have sealed their first-ever Super Lig trophy in the 30 years of the club’s existence but also have secured a direct promotion to Champions League group stage. All of this begs the question If they can keep on performing effectively for the next consecutive season.
The team hasn’t started the season very well with a 2-0 defeat against Hatayspor. The fact it was an away game could slightly make up for it, as they have been registering 0.64 PPG more at home last season. Therefore, this should be an advantage for Basaksehir since they host the Istanbul derby against Galatasaray. What should worry The Yellow-Reds, however, is the fact the hosts have lost only one Super Lig game at Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium last season.
The last five games Basaksehir have played as a guest, and they have lost three of them. So it should be splendid news for the team to perform on their turf. Pre-season comprised one win and one draw and an average of 2.00 GPG and it was Demba Ba to score three out of four goals.
Reports claim there are no recent injuries or suspensions in the team since the game week 1, therefore I expect a very similar starting lineup against Galatasaray.
Galatasaray Team News and Form
A team who has been sinking in defeats at the end of last season because of various injuries from its key players now looks ahead to go for what is more than rightful for them this season, the almighty Super Lig championship… Galatasaray have started the season very well and it is good to see Radamel Falcao back on the score sheet. The Colombian has found the net twice against Gaziantep, which is splendid news for Galatasaray fans.
The post-lockdown form has been one to forget for Galatasaray. Registering six points in eight games on the home stretch and ultimately finishing in 6th last season is a plot twist we haven’t been expecting. Since pre-season, however, the team hasn’t lost a single game and has averaged 2.00 GPG.
The team has won 3-1 with Neftci Baku in Europa League Qualification quarter-finals on 17th September and is slowly moving onto the promotion to the group stage. Mbaye Diagne was the one to play from the first minutes, giving Falcao the needed rest for the upcoming Istanbul derby.
Fan’s favourite Fernando Muslera has been injured since mid-June and is expected to return to fitness in January 2021. The injury list goes on with the likes of Emre Akbaba and new transfer Oghenekaro Etebo, who is in question before this one.
Istanbul Basaksehir Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Hatayspor (A) 2-0 Super Lig defeat
- Karagumruk (A) 1-2 Club Friendly win
- Kasimpasa (A) 2-2 Club Friendly draw
- Copenhagen (A) 3-0 Europa League defeat
- Kasimpasa (A) 3-2 Super Lig defeat
Galatasaray Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Neftci Baku (A) 1-3 Europa League win
- Gaziantep (H) 3-1 Super Lig win
- Hatayspor (H) 1-1 Club Friendly draw
- Umraniyespor (H) 2-0 Club Friendly win
- Istanbulspor (H) 1-0 Club Friendly win
Istanbul Basaksehir Top Goalscorers:
- Edin Visca (19 goals in all competitions in 2019/20) – The Bosnian has finished last season with 13 goals in Super Lig, which only Demba Ba achieved to even. Not only that, but he has also recorded the most assists in the entire league – 12 in total.
- Enzo Crivelli (14 goals in all competitions in 2019/20) – It looks like ultimately Enzo’s transfer to Basaksehir in July 2019 has paid off. Not only he has helped his team to get to Europa League 1/8 finals but also scored 14 goals in a single season, which is all-time best for the 25-year-old.
Galatasaray Top Goalscorers:
- Radamel Falcao (10 Super Lig goals in 2019/20) – The famous El Tigre has had an excellent start of the season after bagging two goals in a 3-1 win against Gaziantep. He has also found the net once against Umraniyespor in pre-season.
- Adem Buyuk (9 goals in all competitions in 2019/20) – The 33-year-old is no longer representing Galatasaray after penning a deal with Yeni Malatyaspor this summer transfer window.
- Istanbul Basaksehir have won Super Lig title last season.
- Galatasaray have finished only seven times below top5 in the Turkish Super Lig, since its inception in 1959.
- Galatasaray are currently unbeaten in seven games in all competitions.
- Basaksehir has been unbeaten in 11 home games in all competitions.
|28th June 2020||BAS 1-1 GAL||Super Lig|
|27th November 2019||GAL 0-1 BAS||Super Lig|
|19th May 2019||GAL 2-1 BAS||Super Lig|
|15th December 2018||BAS 1-1 GAL||Super Lig|
|15th April 2018||GAL 2-0 BAS||Super Lig|
Okan’s Betting Tips
Basaksehir in four out of five home games against Galatasaray has scored the same amount of goals or more in the second half as the opposition. Basaksehir or Draw in the second half is 4/11* with Mark Jarvis.
Four out five games played at Fatih Terim Stadium between both teams has ended as BTTS which is 6/10* with Mark Jarvis.
Galatasaray have scored in the first half in the last five games. Basaksehir has also conceded a goal within a first 45 minutes in last week against Hatayspor in Super Lig. Galatasaray to score over 0.5 goals in the first half is 11/10* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Friday 18th September 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.