Barcelona travels to the home of 14th place Real Valladolid on Saturday hoping to overtake Real Madrid and move into 1st place. We look at the outcome from this match and the impact this game will have on the rest of the league.
Who is playing?
Real Valladolid vs Barcelona
What competition is it?
La Liga, Matchday 36
What time is Real Valladolid vs. Barcelona
18:30 GMT, 11th July 2020
Where does Real Valladolid play their home games?
Jose Zorrilla Stadium, Valladolid, Spain
Where can I watch this game?
Thoughts on Real Valladolid vs Barcelona
Real Valladolid will not be the hardest test Barcelona faces this season. However, a win for the Blaugrana is crucial to keep up the chase for the La Liga title as Real Madrid sit one point ahead of Barcelona with a game in hand. While relegation is no longer a threat to Real Valladolid, they will want to improve their home record, winning 4, drawing ten and losing 3. Barcelona start the game on 76 points with three games to go while real Madrid has 77 points with four games to play. The title race will seemingly come down to the wire, but win away at Real Valladolid will certainly push Barcelona closer to the summit.
Despite having several injuries, Barcelona are coming into the game with high hopes with a nine-game winning streak. They have lost a number of key players due to injuries; however, the Real Valladolid defence will have to prepare for the Messiah that is Lionel Messi, who once again is proving the doubters wrong at age 33, scoring goals and getting assists at will.
Time to step it up for Valladolid
Real Valladolid hasn’t enjoyed the most excellent campaign this season, sitting in 14th place and hovering around the relation zone all season it seems as though they could well be safe. They must overcome a tough Barcelona side to solidify their position in the top flight next season. The team has scored 0.83 goals per game this season, which is anything but desirable. Despite this, they have managed to keep a clean sheet in 41% of all home games, which will be encouraging for the Valladolid faithful.
Averaging 1.29 points per game at home, Real Valladolid are given a +20% home advantage, further boosting confidence for the fans whenever any team travels to the Jose Zorilla Stadium. Real Valladolid has the fourth-best win percentage in the league with 23%, merely Abysmal for any top-flight club. However, the club has been known to score a goal late on in the game, showing resistance as 34% as the team’s goals have come in the final 10 minutes.
Mercurial Messi to the Rescue
Barcelona has been a dominant force in the league since the late 2000s, partly in thanks to Lionel Messi. Barcelona has scored 9000 goals in its history, and he has had a hand in 996 goals, showing that this little man is easily one of the greatest ever to touch a football. Barcelona has been in fine form the past five games, earning an average of 2.17 points. Conceding 1.03 goals per game is outweighed by the side, being able to score 1.65 goals away from home.
Despite the impeccable firepower Barcelona has, the Catalan giants have only able to keep a clean sheet 29% away from home this season. A joint center-back partnership of Gerard Pique and Clement Lenglet has proved vital for Barcelona’s defensive form. Still, it has been forced into the rotation following injuries and suspensions throughout the season.
Despite being suspended for the match against Real Valladolid, Ansu Fati has been on phenomenal form this season when played. Is he the heir to Lionel Messi’s throne? This 17-year-old sensation could be the second coming of the Messiah.
Real Valladolid last five matches:
- Valencia CF (A) 2-1 Loss
- Deportivo Alaves (H) 1-0 Win
- Levante (H) 0-0 Draw
- Sevilla (A) 1-1 Draw
- Getafe (H) 1-1 Draw
Barcelona last five matches:
- RCD Espanyol (H) 1-0 Win
- Villareal (A) 4-1 Win
- Athletico Madrid (H) 2-2 Draw
- Celta Vigo (A) 2-2 Draw
- Athletic Bilbao (H) 1-0 Win
Real Valladolid top contributors:
- Enes Unal (Forward) A shining light for a very lackluster Real Valladolid side, Unal has scored six goals and contributed a further two assists. At 23 years old, the former Man City man still can improve and will continue to be a reliable attacking outlet for Valladolid in the future to come.
- Sergi Guardiola (Forward) Blessed with one of the most notorious surnames in football, Sergi Guardiola is not related to Pep but did play previously for Barcelona. Scoring six and assisting two goals, combining with Enes Unal, the attacking options for Real Valladolid at the top of the pitch are in safer hands.
Barcelona top contributors:
- Lionel Messi (Forward) I don’t need to introduce this icon, but for my pleasure, it’s worth noting that Lionel Messi is the top scorer and assist provider in the league with 22 goals and 19 assists. At the age of 33, the man is a real phenom and a diamond in the game of football.
- Luis Suarez (Forward) One of the best strikers in the world for the past ten years, Suarez hasn’t been as productive as he once was. Although he has scored 15 goals with nine assists with limited game time this year shows the Uruguayan still has some magic left in the tank.
|29th October 2019||BAR 5-1 VAL||La Liga|
|16th February 2019||BAR 1-0 VAL||La Liga|
|25th August 2018||VAL 0-1 BAR||La Liga|
|8th March 2014||VAL 1-0 BAR||La Liga|
|5th October 2013||BAR 4-1 VAL||La Liga|
Jake’s Betting Tips
*Odds as of the time of writing (Friday 10th July) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs, thanks to your support. Thank you.