Chelsea will host Liverpool this Sunday in an early season dual between title contenders in the Premier League. Jake Perry previews this bout between these two giants of English football and provides some insightful betting tips.
Who is playing?
Chelsea vs Liverpool
What competition is it?
Premier League Matchweek 2
What time is Chelsea vs Liverpool?
16:30 GMT, Sunday 20th September 2020
Which stadium is hosting Chelsea vs Liverpool?
Stamford Bridge, London, England
What channel is Chelsea vs Liverpool on?
Sky Sports Main Event
Chelsea vs Liverpool Summary
An early clash between two sides many consider being Premier League title contenders this season, Liverpool travel to Chelsea this Sunday. This game last season saw Trent Alexander-Arnold score a remarkable long distance effort to seal the game for Liverpool.
Fresh off the back of finishing fourth last season, Chelsea went BIG in the transfer market, spending over £200 million on talents such as Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell, and rising star Kai Havertz. After beating Brighton 3-1 last time out, the blues will give Liverpool the blues coming into the game.
Liverpool are once more the top dog in English football; they show no signs of slowing down either. A win at Anfield against Leeds with Mo Salah bagging a hat-trick will be a cause for concern for Frank Lampard. Expect some fireworks from this game. You won’t want to miss any of the action this Sunday.
Chelsea Team News and Form
Chelsea comes into the game winning four of their last five domestic matches. Last season they had a goal difference of only +15, but with the attacking additions they’ve made this summer, that number will reach new heights given their new attacking firepower.
Last season Chelsea struggled to keep clean sheets, managing a clean sheet in 24% of their games last season. To address this issue, Frank Lampard signed veteran center-half Thiago Silva from PSG this summer. He will add some much-needed solidarity to the Blue back line.
Timo Werner took a knock against Brighton, but we expect him to be fit for the Liverpool game. Ziyech will have to wait for his debut, as will Thiago Silva, but Ben Chilwell may be fit in time for this game.
Liverpool Team News and Form
The Reds earned their first Premier League title last season in 30 years, a superb showing of footballing ability from Jurgen Klopp’s men. earning 99 points last season, a magnificent achievement. Salah, Mane, and Firmino once again having a glorious attacking campaign.
Under Klopp, the scousers won 84% of their games in the Premier League last year, the best in the league and one of the top records in Europe. They have made no big-name additions this season to bolster their first team, however, they already have such a dominant side, and another Premier League trophy could head to Merseyside.
Liverpool have no injuries to report and will have a full-strength squad to take down to Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Chelsea Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Brighton (A) 3-1 Premier League win
- Brighton (A) 1-1 Friendly draw
- Bayern (A) 4-1 Champions League defeat
- Arsenal (A) 2-1 FA Cup defeat
- Man Utd (A) 3-1 FA Cup win
Liverpool Last 5 Matches (All competitions)
- Leeds (H) 4-3 Premier League win
- Blackpool (H) 7-2 Friendly win
- Arsenal (A) 1-1 Community Shield defeat (Pens 5-4)
- Red Bull Salzburg (A) 2-2 Friendly draw
- VfB Stuggart (H) 3-0 Friendly win
Liverpool Top Goalscorers:
- Mo Salah (19 Premier League goals in 2019/20 + 3 goals in 2020/21) – Since joining the reds, Mo Salah has become one of the most formidable attackers in the world.
- Sadio Mane (18 Premier League goals in 2019/20) – The Senegalese international was voted in the world XI for the first time in his career last season.
Chelsea Top Goalscorers:
- Jorginho (1 Premier League goal) Chelsea’s Italian Stallion kicked off the new campaign registering a goal and an assist against Brighton
- Tammy Abraham (15 Premier League goals) – Last season Tammy Abraham was one of the most clinical finishers in European football.
- Liverpool have scored in every meeting the side has had against Frank Lampard as a manager
- Chelsea have scored a goal in 20 of their last 21 games against Liverpool
- Liverpool have won 81 games against Chelsea
- Chelsea have won 64 games against Liverpool
|July 22nd 2020||LIV 5-3 CHE||Premier League|
|March 3rd 2020||CHE 2-0 LIV||FA Cup|
|September 22nd 2019||CHE 1-2 LIV||Premier League|
|August 14th 2019||LIV 2-2 CHE||UEFA Super Cup|
|April 14th 2019||LIV 2-0 CHE||Premier League|
Jake’s Betting Tips
Mo Salah bagged three goals against Leeds and now is the designated penalty taker for the red half of Merseyside. Mo Salah to score anytime is Evens* with Mark Jarvis.
Timo Werner was a striking phenom last season with over 35 goals in all competitions. Werner to score anytime is 13/10* with Mark Jarvis.
Chelsea has got a new look team capable of making Stamford Bridge a fortress. Chelsea to win is 21/10* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of time of writing (Tuesday 15th September 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.