It is the first Merseyside derby of the season as in form Everton host Premier League champions Liverpool at Goodison Park in the Saturday lunchtime fixture. Okan Iskin looks ahead to this exciting derby match, which the hosts will feel genuine optimism of an upset, and shares his best betting tips.
Who is playing?
Everton vs Liverpool
What competition is it?
Premier League Matchweek 5
What time is Everton vs Liverpool?
12:30 GMT, Saturday 17th October 2020
Which stadium is hosting Everton vs Liverpool?
Goodison Park, Liverpool, United Kingdom
What channel is Everton vs Liverpool on?
Sky Sports Main Event
Everton vs Liverpool Summary
Carlo Ancelotti and James Rodriguez are back again working together and we are seeing the fruits of their labour week in and week out. The team needs to keep this run alive to make a good name for themselves after years of struggle. European Cups are within the reach; sitting in first and averaging 3.00 PPG is what all the fans have ever wanted. However, it is the long run that will verify if the team is ready for the top six this season.
Liverpool is one of several teams who needed the international break following their shameful 7-2 defeat against Aston Villa. Klopp’s men were chaotic, with no plan of executing the attacks and very unprofessional in the defence. However, it is Liverpool we are talking about, a team who once in a while stumbles but usually comes back even stronger. We have all witnessed this on multiple occasions in recent seasons.
Everton Team News and Form
The Toffees have been back to back securing big wins this season. They are unbeaten in EFL Cup and Premier League so far and have given us plenty of reasons to root for them. The times of mid-table spots and problems with qualifying to European Cups might be over with them looking stronger than ever.
The confrontation against Liverpool will be a big test for the Everton side. It is all roses until you face a worthy opponent who not only has won Premier League last season but also was the latest English side to win Champions League and UEFA Super Cup in one season.
Everton is an enormous threat offensively, but they still have some things to improve in front of their own goal. That’s why they have transferred Ben Godfrey for 20 million pounds from Norwich City. It is an exciting signing and will let us forget about Mason Holgate’s injury, which weakened The Toffees defensively for a while.
Liverpool Team News and Form
October hasn’t been the most pleasant of the months for Liverpool so far. They have lost to Arsenal in EFL Cup and to Aston Villa in an outrageous 7-2 result. Hopefully, after the storm, the sun will shine again for stumbling Klopp’s men. They have started the season very well, with nine goals and nine points in the first three league games. The question is can they get back on their feet and put on a show we are all accustomed to.
The pressure is bigger than ever as it is an away game and not even a regular one. It is a derby match in which stakes are higher. All the fans want their side to succeed, but would that be possible for The Reds following their latest lack of form?
Allison’s injury has weakened Liverpool massively. They expect the Brazilian to be out for up to six weeks, according to Klopp. Sadio Mane and Thiago both have tested positive last month, but now they have returned to training. It is now the dilemma of whether both players are fit enough to face Everton.
Everton Last Five Matches
- Brighton (H) 4-2 Premier League win
- West Ham (H) 4-1 EFL Cup win
- Crystal Palace (A) 1-2 Premier League win
- Fleetwood Town (A) 2-5 Premier League win
- West Brom (H) 5-2 Premier League win
Liverpool Last Five Matches
- Aston Villa (A) 7-2 Premier League defeat
- Arsenal (H) 0-0 (4-5) EFL Cup defeat
- Arsenal (H) 3-1 Premier League win
- Lincoln (A) 2-7 EFL Cup win
- Chelsea (A) 2-0 Premier League win
Everton Top Goalscorers
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin (6 Premier League goals this season) – Nobody expected to see the Englishman to bag so many from the start of the new season. Transfers of Abdoulaye Doucoure, Allan and James “The Maestro” Rodriguez has helped him a lot offensively so far. With the help of his colleagues, he is the leading scorer of Premier League.
- James Rodriguez (3 Premier League goals this season) – The Colombian’s transfer to Everton was in big question. He proved to us that with the trust of Carlo Ancelotti and excellent chemistry with the fellow teammates, he can do great things. James has scored three goals and recorded two assists.
Liverpool Top Goalscorers
- Mohamed Salah (5 Premier League goals this season) – The Egyptian has started the season promisingly. Five goals in four matches is an excellent record. With only one goal difference to Heung-Min Son and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, he will want to put his hand on another Premier League golden boot.
- Sadio Mane (3 Premier League goals this season) – Mane has been crucial for the Liverpool side, despite Mohamed Salah being the name of the headlines so far.
- Liverpool have conceded seven goals in their last matchweek.
- Everton have scored the most goals (12) in Premier League so far.
- Everton are unbeaten in nine games so far.
- Last time Everton has won against Liverpool was on 17th October 2010 – exactly one decade before.
|21st June 2020||EVE 0-0 LIV||Premier League|
|5th January 2020||LIV 1-0 EVE||FA Cup|
|4th December 2019||LIV 5-2 EVE||Premier League|
|3rd March 2019||EVE 0-0 LIV||Premier League|
|2nd December 2018||LIV 1-0 EVE||Premier League|
Okan’s Betting Tips
Everton has scored 14 out of 24 goals in the second half in all competitions this season. They have gone blank in the second half only once so far. Everton to score in the second half is 4/5* with Mark Jarvis.
The reason for this tip is very obvious. Liverpool have conceded seven goals last time out and the Englishman is a top scorer with six goals to his name. Dominic Calvert-Lewin to scorer anytime in the game is 6/4* with Mark Jarvis.
*Odds as of the time of writing (Thursday 15th October 2020) and subject to change
For more content, head to the MJ Sport Betting Guide Home.
We continue to climb the Feedspot Top 50 Betting Blogs thanks to your support. Thank you.